Sunday, February 12, 2012

Step-Parent Support of a Step-Child

ISSUE: When is a step-parent financially responsible for the support of a step-child?

Section 415 of the Family Court Act governs the duty of individuals to financially support their step-children.  Under this section, if a child under the age of twenty-one (21) is a recipient of public assistance or is likely to become in need of public assistance, the child’s step-parent has a duty to support the child.        
      
It has been consistently held that an individual is responsible to financially support a step-child when there is evidence that the step-child is likely to become a public charge. See, Baird v. Baird, 357 N.Y.S.2d 327 (N.Y. App. 4th Div. 1974).  In determining whether to vest a support obligation upon step-parents, “biological parents have primary responsibility for child support,” while “step-parents are responsible only if the support from the biological parents is insufficient to keep the child off public assistance.” Commissioner v. Lawrence F., 629 N.Y.S.2d 706 (N.Y. App. 4th Div. 1995) (citing, Matter of Monroe County Dept. of Social Servs. v. Palermo, 596 N.Y.S.2d 252 (N.Y. App. 4th Div. 1993)) (emphasis added).

When a petition for support of a step-child is brought without first seeking support from a biological parent, the Family Court does not abuse its discretion in terminating a support order that requires a step-parent to financially support the step-child. See, Lawrence F., 629 N.Y.S.2d at 706.  In Lawrence F., an individual was ordered to pay for the support of his step-child. Id.  Upon the step-parent’s objection to the support order on the grounds of financial hardship and that the petitioner did not first seek support from the step-child’s biological father, the Family Court terminated the support order. Id.  On appeal, the Family Court’s termination of step-child support was unanimously affirmed on the ground that biological parents are primarily responsible for the support of their children, rather than step-parents. Id.

Similarly, a trial court may defer the issue of step-parent support while petitioner makes efforts to obtain support from the step-child’s biological parents. Palermo, 596 N.Y.S.2d at at 253.  In Palermo, the department of social services sought an order directing a step-father to pay support for his step-children. Id. at 252.  The petitioner failed to show any attempt to recover support from the step-children’s biological parents. Id. at 253.  The trial court deferred the issue of step-parent support while the petitioner made attempts to obtain support from the biological parents.  On appeal, the Family Court’s deferral was unanimously affirmed. Id. 

Put simply, if you want financial support from a step-parent:
1.      Try to get (more) support from the parents first, and
2.      The child must otherwise be likely to have to go on state assistance (welfare).


3 comments:

  1. What if you are NOW separated and living apart from your spouse?(biological parent in my case)

    My ex-husbands child IS currently a recipient of welfare and now my EX is telling me I am also financially responsible unless we file for divorce. How can I prove we are not living or sharing any expenses without official court papers? Should we file a separation agreement at this point? so that my wages aren't garnished as HIS currently are. I have my own child from another relationship whom I do support alone.

    We will and do want to be divorced but have not filed or gone to court YET as our separation only took effect december 2012.


    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became disabled during my marriage. My husband started to cheat on me with a mutual coworker. I continued to work because I had to pay the bills but have now advanced to the point of filing for permanent disability through my work and w SSD. My husband said because he’s moved out before my paperwork has been finalized he will not have to pay me alimony. I will need the alimony to keep my premarital home which has significant increased debt because of marital decisions. The new law indicates he is responsible for alimony and the length of the marriage (7 yrs of marriage, living together for 9) may not impact the duration given I have 9 of the 13 factors applicable to the marriage. But does my disability have to go through before I can file for divorce? Also are the debts during the marriage his also even if only in my name...including the decision to take out parent plus loans for only my daughter that he was the only “father” to for the 9 yrs?

    ReplyDelete